Saturday, March 10, 2007

So I Dyed Yesterday

Yesterday morning my mom asked me, "So, what are you doing today?"
I simply replied, "Dyeing"
She laughed after I clarified that I was dyeing wool.
So here is a very picture heavy post of what I did.
Prepare Roving
First I washed and soaked the roving, after the first batch I realized that the more water the fiber was holding onto the better the dye would spread.
Colors Using
As the fiber was soaking I mixed the Kool Aid. I used Ice Blue Raspberry Lemonade, Lemon-Lime, Grape, and Cherry.
Mix with Water
I added about 5 tablespoons of water to each color and that seemed a little short at times but in the end it was enough, the the Blue was a bit thicker than the others though.
Take Sample Colors
I got a little nervous so I took sample colors to see how each would appear in their dry states.
Paint a spot
I chose to hand paint the rovings so in each spot I took a paintbrush and dabbed until a spot had absorbed as much dye as I wanted it to.
Make sure it goes all the way through
I turned it over from time to time to check that the dye had seeped through.
Layer one color at a time
I worked with one color at a time until I had run out.
Beware overlapping colors
After I was done I prepared a pot of boiling water and placed a smaller pot inside without water and placed the fiber inside of it. I then closed the lid over both and steamed it for around 30 minutes.
Let Cool
Then I lifted the fiber out and let it cool on a rack until it felt cool to the touch.
Then I rinsed it to remove any extra dye and hung it up to dry.
Rinse, dry and enjoy
After I had a new batch of hand painted fiber by moi and I felt very happy with myself.
Now if only I could remember if this was superwash or not.

No comments: